Ecumenical chapel opens

Published November 1, 2001


A Jesuit-owned chapel, constructed in 1908 and later abandoned, has been restored and re-opened as an ecumenical “Chapel for Europe” in Brussels in order to minister to staff of European Union departments located nearby.

Formally called Chapel of the Resurrection, the dedication ceremony on Sept. 25 was attended by the president of the European Commission, Romano Prodi, among other dignitaries.

The church stands near the offices of the European Commission, European Parliament and Council of Ministers – the European Union’s three main institutions. It will host weekly Roman Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox and Finnish Lutheran services as well as daily ecumenical prayers in various European languages.


Keep on reading

Skip to content