St. John’s Anglican Church, in Thamesford, Ont., first opened its doors to worshippers in 1861. Constructed with local field stone and the labour of parishioners, it recently celebrated its 150th anniversary with a special commemorative service on June 5th. Bishop Terry Dance of the diocese of Huron, the Rev.Larry O’Connor from Thorndale and the Rev. Larry Edwards, rector of St. John’s, officiated.
An historical plaque is now attached to the front of the church beside the original stepping stone, used by church-goers in days of yore to alight from their carriages.
According to Ellen Wallace, chair of the anniversary committee, this event will be followed by a clergy and congregational dinner and a harvest service this fall.